Saturday, February 18, 2012

Once Upon a Time....


I have a confession to make--I LOVE picture books. I enjoy reading them out loud and to myself in the book store. I like to read aloud to a crowd or share them with just one little one on my lap. I love the art, the phrases, the words, the rhythm of a good picture book.
And sometimes I even like the message. If it doesn't take itself to seriously.

So in today's blog I want to take just a second to share with you a few of my very favorite picture books for kids. I'll start with books for babies and work my way up to older pre-schoolers. Although I must say kids of all ages enjoy a good picture book.

HUG by Jez Alborough is my all time favorite for baby books. It comes as a board book, a BIG board book and a picture book. Even very young children easily understand and emphasize with little Bobo as he searches for a "HUG." With only 3 words used in the entire book, the child will be "reading" it to you before long. ( Birth -- ??)

Miffy at the Zoo by Dick Bruna is a family favorite. A simple story of Dad taking his daughter to the zoo, kids love the animals and will relate to Miffy as she enjoys her trip. Miffy is also a series.(1-4)

Love many of Sandra Boynton's board books but Pajama Time is my favorite. However, you must read it properly. Sandra's books are very rhythmic--more like leading a cheer than reading a book. "The moon is UP and it's getting LATE, so let's get ready to CEL-a-brate, It's PAJAMA TIME!" Lots of fun for the reader and the listener. (1-??)


A new favorite with my grandkids (3 and up) has been
Judy Schachner's Skippyjon Jones series, especially Lost in Spice. Skippyjon is a Siamese kitten who likes to pretend he is a chihuahua to hilarious results. With Mama June Bug Jones, Skippyjon's three sisters, Jezebel, Jillyboo, and Ju Ju Bee, the funny phrases ("Mr. Kitten Britches" & "We're making Tuna Poodle Casserole") and Skippyjon's antics we giggled and laughed our way through the stories. (3 and up.)

My daughter-in-law, Shannon introduced me to Agate by Joy Morgan Dey last weekend at my son's house in MN. It is a sweet story, but the art work just blew me away. If you love to share beauty with your children and a meaningful story about how every one of us has a special place in this world this is a wonderful way to do it. A book that is equally beautiful in it's message and art. (4 and up.)


By the way, I keep most of these books close to the computer so that when I'm Skypeing with my grandchildren I can quickly fill any request to "Read me a story, Grammy!"

Please comment and add your own favorite
children's book.
I'm always on the lookout for a new favorite picture book.


Meanwhile, Happy Reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment